Happy Birthday to me! Danni Saw This turns 2 today! It feels like only yesterday that I was celebrating my first year of blogging and feeling amazed that I’d made it through a whole year. It’s been another busy year of blogging and again, I’ve learnt so much about the blogging world and I feel, I hope you guys do too, that my posts are stronger and I’m (slowly) getting better at networking and pushing the blog more, even if I keep apologising for it! I’ve attended a few blogging events and last Saturday I attended my first bloggers meet up, where I met up with 6 lovely Yorkshire based bloggers, who inspired me to keep pushing forward with my blog.
As you know I started this blog because of my love of quirkiness and of wanting to share it with you all and that hasn’t changed, in fact I feel even stronger about this and I’m going to continue sharing my love of the unusual, along with some great products from our great British designers thrown into the mix!
I wonder where’ll I’ll be in another year’s time, I can’t wait to see ow much I’ll have grown and I hope you continue to enjoy my posts. As they say, if you envisage it, it will happen. Shoot for the stars!
Aaah Friday, Friday, Friday are we pleased to see you. I hope the week has treat you well and you’re all looking forward to the weekend! This lovely apple print is by French artist Chloe Lefeuvreu.
Happy weekend x
Whilst my borrowed Mac is being set up I’m still without Photoshop for my blog images, limiting me to what I can post, but I’m not going to let that get in the way! So today I’m bringing you some really great packaging designs. As you know I love packing, I’ve written lots of posts about this subject, and I found these wonderful designs across the internet which I couldn’t resist as they’re too good to miss…
Absolut Vodka YiRan Carroll
More of my favourite packaging designs can be found on my I Love Design Pinterest page
As you all know I love patterns, I’ve posted about them many times, but recently there’s one pattern which is very on trend at the moment and one I used to love even before stars (yes i know!) and I’d completely forgotten about it until now; the Navajo print. This beautiful Native American pattern, with it’s mix of bold and pale colours, used to adorn my bedroom and I can’t believe I forgot about it, but I’m so pleased this graphic print is back.
When researching for this post I found this print everywhere, even in places I was’t expecting to see it, including the coffee machine in Starbucks (a quick photo was needed whist I waited for my caffeine hit.) I also found Navajo patterned skirts, blouses and scarves; two of which I had to buy purely for reminiscent reasons.
I also love old Native American photo’s, they are very powerful shots and the faces of the natives hold so much history within them. I’m beginning to realise that my love of Native America and the Navajo tribes has always been with me and long may it continue.
Skirt and blouse from H&M, Scarf from Primark
Happy Friday everyone, it’s been a busy week so I think we all deserve Friday drinks! I found this illustration by Ilya Kazakov and it’s part of a series called Week of Sleeping Cups. (Sleeping seems to have been a theme on the blog this week – unintentional of course!) I recommend you check out the rest of her illustrations, I can definitely sympathise with many of them!
Happy weekend x
A couple of weeks ago I was asked by the lovely blogger Carpe Diem Emmie to share 10 things I love and 10 things I hate (or dislike for me), you can see her post here. I thought this was a lovely way to get to know a little more about me, and with Danni Saw This turning 2 at the end of the month I thought it was the perfect opportunity to write this post. Ok here goes, in no particular order…
10 Things I Love…
1. Photography, especially iPhoneography. I like the limits my phone has when taking photos, therefor I have to work harder to achieve the image I want. Once the image is right in the camera I’m happy.
2. Disney. Aaah I just love Disney, ok you’ve got me, I’m obsessed with Disney and Aladdin is my favourite film. I love the parks too, unfortunately I’ve only visited Disneyland Paris, but I’m getting around to the others!
3. America, yup another obsession of mine and I try to go whenever I can afford to. I like to think that New York is my adoptive home.
4. Crisps – salt and vinegar please. I’ll take crisps over chocolate any day.
5. Graphic Design. My job, my hobby, my love.
6. Music. I’ve never know a time when I haven’t been listening to music. It’s a big part of me and I’d be so lost without music.
7. Reading. Give me a good crime thriller and I’ll be gone for hours, especially if it’s set in America!
8. Pinterest is a hobby of mine, Yes I’m claiming it’s a hobby. I’ve always been an image hoarder and I was forever printing picture out to keep when I was younger. Now I can do it online!
9. Stationery. Yes I do need that new notebook to add to my collection.
10. Research. I could spend most of my days researching things, I love collecting information, especially if it’s for a holiday, event or restaurant.
10 Things I Dislike
1. Sand. I know it’s a strange one, but I don’t like the feel of it, especially when it’s wet, bleurgh!
2. Lateness. I don’t like being late for any reason, I find it frustrating.
3. Anxiety. It’s just a big pain in the arse and I wish there was a cure, but there isn’t so in the meantime running and yoga help to beat it into a corner it can’t escape from!
4. X Factor. I have too much to say on this subject, but I won’t, so I’ll narrow it down to the point of… I don’t like manufactured bands/groups that want instant fame. Work for it, the rest of us have to!
5. The thought of going to a gym. No thank you, I’m not paying to put myself through that. I like running and that’s all you’re getting from me.
6. Ice cream. What I hear you cry! I have sensitive teeth so it hurts too much to eat it and also it’s too sweet for my taste. I’ll have a packets of crisps instead.
7. TV soaps. I just find them annoying and I can’t even explain why.
8. Outer Space just scares me a little, all that unknown and undiscovered vastness – eeek!
9. Comic Sans – as something I once read said ‘Comic sans should only be used by 8 year old girls writing about unicorns’.
10. Olives. I’ve tried to like them, but I don’t. Maybe as I grow (even) older my tastes my change and I’ll grow to love them??
Illustration courtesy and copyright to Blanka Biernat and looks just like me, I even wear those glasses and my hair is occasionally in a bun!
These delicate, etherial photos entitled Sleep Elevations are by French photographer Maia Flore. I think they’re haunting, yet beautiful and for me personally, perfectly portray how we sleep. Everything is suspended, our bodies relax to almost weightlessness where we need a sturdy support, floating effortlessly into the next day.
There is a lovely vintage feel/style to the photos, with the use of inanimate objects as support. I would love to see these images replicated but using males instead, how would they look and what objects would be used to offer their support?
More photos from the Sleep Elevations project can be found on Maia’s website along with other great work.
Images are copyright and courtesy of Maia Flore